Sunday, October 4, 2009

Black or white, pointy or normal...


I can't decide what to wear.

The black top is the official Triathlon NZ racing top that is worn by NZ team members competing at the shorter distance world champs races. Its smart looking, designed to be worn in the swim as well, and breathes superlatively. Two problems though. Its zip is on the back, so I can't easily unzip it to help cooling when on the run, and secondly, black is supposedly hotter to wear, absorbing the sun's heat more readily. The white top is the one I've worn at the last two NZ ironman races. Its zip is on the front, it is supposedly a cooler colour, but is not as tight, and cannot be worn in the swim.

Then there's the helmets. The white one is a true aero helmet, and assists with aerodynamics especially once you're going faster than about 35 kph. On the downside though, it is not as well vented as the other one, and so potentially, its hotter to wear. The darker, traditional cycling helmet is not that aerodynamic, but has great air flow.

I've worn both tops, and both helmets whilst here, and I'm still not sure which is the better. In terms of the tops, I actually think that the black top radiates heat away from my body more efficiently. I've been doing some trawling on the internet to see if there is any definitive answers on which is the better top to wear, and its seems that the quality of the fabric (in terms of wicking moisture - ie helping evaporation and therefore cooling) might actually be the key factor. I think the black one works best.

With the helmets, its less clear. I can pour water through the vents to keep my head wet on both helmets. Its seems that the aero one is only at a real disadvantage when I'm going slow - such as up the steeper climbs. I think I'll base my decision on the weather forecast closer to the race.

Does anyone out there know of any science to help me decide which top to wear?

There is another option - wear the black top on the swim and bike, and change to the white top for the run. It would only add another 10-15 seconds to my transition, so its an option worth considering.

5 comments:

  1. Hey Rob, I love rerading your updates, it is the most exciting thing going around these days. That tells you something about the course of late.
    We are currently sitting in Ohakea, we flew up from Ch-Ch yesterday but have been snowed out, so this is our second night here and we have missed two days of TEWTs, oh what a buggar:)
    It is meant to be the worst snow dump in the Nth island for 25yrs.
    I bumped in to Danny and Richie Milner on Sat night, they both pass there regards.
    Well we hope that training is going well and you are enjoying yourself.
    Go with the Black one, it maybe your last chance,
    Chris

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gidday Rob

    It looks like your prep is going well, unfortunately won't be able to watch the race, will be stuck in the deep dark depths of the south island but hopefully will receive updates via cellphone.
    You have left nothing to chance in your preparation, this coupled with an unshakeable belief in yourself should set you up for a great race. You inspire for the rest of us to push harder and achieve our dreams. Hope to follow in your footsteps

    Whāia te iti kahurangi
    Ki te tūohu koe, me he maunga teitei
    Pursue excellence – should you stumble, let it be to a lofty mountain

    Roddy

    ReplyDelete
  3. hey dad i think the black top looks best, Best of luck with the race

    love

    corrie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mate

    I always ask my wife what to wear!! Has to be black to look the part but that is based on no science what so ever. Good to see you are getting your heart rate to 145. Mine gets that high just thinking about what you are doing.

    Phil McKee

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks everyone for their guidance, support and fashion knowledge! Well done too, Corrie, for figuring out how to add a comment.

    My heart tell me to go black, my head tells me white. I'm going to run again tonight in black and add to the pool of data...

    ReplyDelete