Thursday, October 8, 2009

I'm a bit distracted!


Because my boss has turned up. It was a bit stressful making sure I was on time after giving the accommodation a spruce-up, but it passed inspection, as I'm still in one piece. Seriously, its great to have Teresa here, and nice to be able to share the next few days together.

Its been a busy day, so a short blog, with the promise of a gutsy one or two tomorrow, with my final thoughts leading up to the race.

After Teresa's arrival, we had lunch in town, and after curbing her rampant shopping instincts, we drove up to Hawi and back, so Teresa could reacquaint herself with the course. Today was the only real opportunity to do so, as tomorrow is quite busy handing in gear bags and resting. After dinner in town tonight, we attended the race brief between 8-9 pm. Briefs like that normally make me a bit apprehensive about the coming race, but I'm remarkably calm at the moment. No doubt I'll feel a bit more nervousness tomorrow night, but I can't see myself flapping too much, as I know what needs to be done, I've done the hard yards in training, and after all, I've successfully raced here, and raced well here, before. I don't mean to sound cocky, but I'm backing myself to have a good day.

Teresa made the comment at the race brief that being back here has rekindled a desire to do the race, if only her knees were in running order. Unfortunately, they haven't passed a running WOF for a long time, and won't any time soon.

I'll post a video from today in tomorrow's post(s), but in the meantime, today's photo is a self-portrait taken at about 40kph on the Queen K highway a few days ago. I was having fun but forgot to smile - mainly due I think to worrying about a wind gust nudging me off the road.

1 comment:

  1. Rob, here is my last chance to say good luck mate. Trust your ability as you have done great work to get where you are. We will be rooting for you and watching your progress as I am taking my computer to the lodge with AATC in about 2 hours time.

    We are currently in Woodbourne waiting to leave to the lodge but the snow that hit the country yesterday has closed some roads so it will be an interesting race on Monday. I am bloody looking forward to it and doing the thing that i so use to love.

    Anyway Rob, take care, go hard and most importantly enjoy it.

    Chris

    ReplyDelete