Saturday, September 26, 2009

I really do enjoy flying, but...

Those that know me, are aware that I'm a keen pilot - and dabble in a bit of aerobatics. I don't count sitting in a metal tube for 8 hours being fed plastic food much fun though...so, here's 8 hours condensed into 18 seconds for you:



After overnighting in a hotel about 5 minutes from Honolulu, I boarded a short (40 min) flight this morning, through to Kailua-Kona (normally shortened to Kona), arriving here around midday.

Teresa and I have vivid memories of getting off the aircraft at Kona and thinking just how hot is was when we first raced here in 1988. I wasn't let down today. At least this time I can rest assured that two weeks will see me adjusted.

Anyway; I found my rental car, found my accommodation, bought some groceries, and have settled in. Later this afternoon I'll head down to the Kona Pier (where the race starts) and have a short swim.

Its bloody great being here!

1 comment:

  1. It's amazing how short an eight hour flight (e.g. Chicago to Copenhagen) seems when you surround it with 12 hour flights!

    By far the "longest" flights I've ever been on have been transcontinental US flights. International-worthy durations, but packed in like sardines with domestic-class service. I nearly died in a 757 from Las Vegas to D.C. last year.

    ReplyDelete