Saturday, September 26, 2009

Tripping...down memory lane


After assembling my bike, I went down to Kona Pier about 5pm for a swim. Parking is a nightmare, and then I had the challenge of working out what to do with keys, clothes etc as I went for a swim. In the end I just barrelled up to a shop and asked if they would mind me leaving bag behind the counter while I went for my swim - not a problem. I'd better buy some stuff from them!

Walking to the pier, and its adjacent small beach, took me along Ali'i Drive, which is what we will run along for the final km or so to the finish line. Talk about bring back (happy) memories. Standing on the beach was even better. Its so special being back here 21 years since Teresa and I competed in this race.

The beach is colloquially known as 'Dig Me' Beach. I'm sure you can work that out. And yes, there are some pretty fit looking bodies around.

Coach John had me down for just a small, very easy swim, so I only did 1km, or around 16 minutes. There was a reasonable swell, and quite a current, but the water was very warm and so, so clear. There are plenty of fish to see, and it really was relaxing and quite enjoyable being in warm, buoyant and clear water. Despite thinking about the congestion of the swim start with around 1800 competitors, I'm feeling positive about being in the water.


3 comments:

  1. Gidday mate, so excited and happy for you. We will be checking the site each day and trying to live your dream in the comfortable of the couch. (Even though the couch is located in Waiouru).
    No, dont even think about buying Korena nd I something!!!!!
    Take it easy Rob.
    Chris

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always just lock my keys etc in the car when I go swimming. Makes things so much easier.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey there Rob
    It sounds like you are all ready to go. All the best with the remainder of your preparation. I look forward to your reports and of course your results on the big day. From your picture of your packing is that a bit of INTJ coming out by any chance! Good luck mate. Give it heaps.
    Arab

    ReplyDelete