Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Shark Attack





It could have been, but wasn't. Thankfully.

I was pleasantly engrossed in a 45 minute ocean swim this morning, minding my own business, so to speak, when I saw the fin about 15m away. I was about 1.5 km from shore, so running up onto the beach wasn't a realistic option. I was trying really hard to convince myself that it wasn't a shark, but the bugger was just cruising on the surface, and I though dolphins do, you know, dolphin sort of swimming. After a rather anxious 20 seconds or so I saw another 3-4 fins surface, and finally realised that I wasn't about to become fish breakfast after all.

Now I know why the race organisers recommend that you swim in pairs; it would have been nice to have put someone else between me and it.

I'm really enjoying the chance to do the ocean swimming. I'm normally very comfortable on my own swimming away from the shore, and here it is especially enjoyable, as there are a lot of smaller (ie less than shark sized) fish about, and the water is clear and warm - about 28 degrees or so I reckon. I'm reassured that in the history of the race, no one has been shark tucker.

Tonight it was a 75 minute run taking in the section heading into what is called the Energy Lab. I ran between the 18 and 33km points, or there about. The Energy Lab sits down a dead end road, and there is a slight, but noticeable decent down to the turn around point. Reaching this turn around is a key part of the race, as there is a very tangible feeling of heading home to the finish. The 30 km point is also a traditional point in the race where people fade badly, as the accumulated fatigue really starts to be noticed.

Its a lonely bit of road heading out to the Energy Lab - open and exposed. Today I could feel the heat of the road coming up through my shoes after about 5 minutes.




10 comments:

  1. Mate, I just showed Koren your post and she wet her self about the Shark. Great stuff, good character building, but you can have that.
    We are off home tomorrow, just over half way so that has been great.
    Had a interviews today, all good. Course starting to slow down now and there isnt really much left, TEWTs have been watered down so much it really is a waste of time.

    Well mate, not sure if you are getting these messages as I have to select a profile and it keeps coming back.
    Take care
    dont get eaten

    Chris

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really enjoying the blog. Not a bad meeting 1.5km off the coast. Good place to survive a Tsunami! Go hard and look forward to hearing your finishing time. Cheers Macka

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Chris and Koren, well done on reaching the half-way stage - that must feel good. Enjoy your break. I'm 'glad' that my scare amused you Koren. If I'd been wearing my heart rate monitor, it would have exploded.

    Macka - hope you hade a good time at Whakatane with Wise Owl. They issued a tsunami warning here and cleared all the beaches. I think there was a slight surge around 1pm our time. I certainly hadn't planned on heading down to the sea to watch, although it was really tempting to. Figured it would be exactly what the authorities don't want, and it might be one of those situations where you expose yourself to really quite unnecessary risk...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Us again Rob- nothing like a few sharks at trg to speed up the times eh :) Hope the weather, gear and crowds are all kind to you tomorrow during the race. We haven't mentioned the L word - cause everyone makes their own in things like this and 2 years of hard slog will certainly hold you in good stead tomorrow- We'll be watching for the results

    We saw this quote in the paper this week and thought it fitted well for you tomorrow
    "Some people dream of success while others wake up and achieve it"

    Best wishes Dave & Jamie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Dave and Jamie - thanks heaps for the kind wishes, but there's still another week to go...its Sat 10 Oct. Still another week of training to go, although its pretty easy when there is no work to complicate your life! Just got back from an awesome cycle; I was on FIRE. I was doing 8 min intervals and for a change I was smoking past other riders. It doesn't matter that they were weren't necessarily going the same way as me!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Shark bait Hoult!! Mate he would hardly have gotten a feed from your scrawny racing sardine legs. I reckon there would be a few anxious moments there Rob? Good practice for when we send you out to swim with the whales off Kaikoura.
    Good luck for the build up and of course the race Rob, Jude and I are there in spirit and we will have a quiet one this weekend at Seafest in support of the KiwinKona!
    Gumbattemasse!! as the Japanese would say...fight hard

    ReplyDelete
  7. Rob

    Think I'll stick to lying on the beach when in Hawaii. Your holiday sounds way too hard. Great to hear all is going well mate and excellent to read about it. Go hard and good luck

    Phil Mc

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Tony and Phil - thanks for the kind thoughts. I'm in triathlete heaven...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Rob,

    Awesome account. What happened? Did you stop, swim hard and in a straight line for land??? Currently in the midst of building up for my first IM...Cheers Matt

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Matt - if you get this, sorry for taking so long to reply - just ain't looking at this site that often. To answer your question - I kept on swimming, but was pretty nervous the whole way. Swimming with company is just so much better.

    Best of luck for your first IM - the first one is special - it's such an adventure.

    Cheers

    Rob

    ReplyDelete